Sunday, June 14, 2009

Oil Map Activity

As a science teacher, I will definitely be able to use this with my students. We already spend time teaching students how to interpret graphs and data, and this could support and reinforce our efforts. One that would be particulary interesting and relevant to the content I teach would be the Swine Flu map. The slide bar would allow students to scroll through the history to see how the flu has spread. I would be able to easily differentiate this by asking students with fewer skills more basic questions, and asking honors students to make predictions based on the past information.

Another fun one for the students would be the Box Office Receipts. Students would be able to pick their favorite movies to answer questions about or look for trends based on time of year. I could also see this as a jumping-off-point to have students create a lab investigation of their own, using the graph as background information for a new hypothesis about movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment